- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup (or sub coconut sugar or honey)
- 1 ½ cups old fashioned rolled oats, gluten free if desired
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded carrots (shred with a cheese grater)
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 3 tablespoons raisins
- Olive oil or coconut oil, for cooking
- Add all of the ingredients (besides the carrots, walnuts and raisins) to a blender and blend on high until completely smooth, about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Stir in the carrots, chopped walnuts and raisins (DO NOT BLEND).
- Lightly coat a griddle with coconut oil or olive oil and place over a medium heat. Once the pan is hot, add about 1/3 cup of the batter to the griddle for each pancake and use a spoon to spread them out a bit into circles; cook for 2-4 minutes until pancakes slightly puff up and you see a few bubbles along the edges.
- Flip cakes and cook until golden brown on underside. If you find that pancakes are browning too quickly, then you need to lower the heat. I normally start on medium heat, then reduce to medium low later so that my pancakes don’t burn. If at any point your griddle starts smoking, it means your pan is too hot.
- Wipe skillet clean and repeat with more oil and remaining batter. Makes 6 pancakes total. Serves 3, 2 pancakes each.