- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups sliced carrots (from about 4 large carrots)
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 1 tablespoon fresh diced rosemary
- 1 teaspoon fresh diced thyme
- 6 oz whole wheat fusilli (see notes below)
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Place the chicken, chicken broth, sliced carrots, celery, onions, fresh lemon juice, garlic, black pepper, salt, poultry seasoning, rosemary and thyme in a large slow cooker and stir with a wooden spoon to combine. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high, or until chicken is fully cooked.
- Remove chicken with slotted spoon and transfer to a baking sheet or large plate; shred chicken with two forks once it is cool enough to handle. Return shredded chicken to slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Stir in the pasta, cover, and cook on high for 10-20 minutes longer or until noodles are al dente. Do not overcook or the noodle will get mushy!
- Taste and season soup with additional salt and pepper and extra herbs if desired. Serve with a side salad and soup crackers. Makes 6 servings.
To make gluten free: Use gluten free brown rice noodles and watch how long you cook them for at the end so that they don’t get mushy.
If you desired more lemon flavor, juice another lemon and add it to the broth. This soup is amazing when you have a cold.